8/23/11

This Too Shall Pass

I hadn't intended to make a regular habit of mocking Texas Governor Rick Perry, but now that he has jumped into the presidential race, he seems to have wasted no time in pissing me off. This week, he made the news by reassuring a 4th grader that in Texas, they teach religious nonsense along with the science:


Student: How old do you think the earth is?
Perry: How old do I think the earth is? You know what? I don't have any idea. I know it's pretty old, so it goes back a long, long way. I'm not sure anybody actually knows completely and absolutely how long, how old the earth is. I hear your mom was asking about evolution. You know, it's a theory that's out there. It's got some gaps in it, but in Texas we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools, because I figured you're smart enough to figure out which one is right.

While it's kind of Brother Rick to openly admit his lawbreaking (last I checked, the first amendment was still in effect in Texas), the whole idea of teaching kids science with heapings of nonsense blended in sounds a little sketchy, to say the least. I suppose it will save the state some money on teacher's edition textbooks; it just seems like some kids might get confused and wind up learning nothing.
But I'm sure the Governor knows best about science. And what he doesn't know, no one does. With that in mind, here is a new breakfast cereal soon to appear on store shelves across the nation. For a serving suggestion, try it with boiling hot Texas-style ginger ale.




No comments:

Post a Comment