2/1/18

I Have a Suggestion

With regards to the controversy in recent years involving what to do with all those old Confederate statues in the southern United States: I understand the feelings of the many people, especially those of color, who are offended by a culture that would celebrate what was essentially a war effort to retain the practice of racial slavery in those states. I also understand the desire of others to preserve history, a fairly unique history at that. Though I must say in this case it seems a little weird for a bunch of red states, dominated by Republican officeholders who like to make a big show of their patriotism, to celebrate an attempt to secede from the American union. And I'm concerned about the cost and effort required to remove, transport, and store these statues.
So I hereby offer my solution: leave the statues in place, but increase the efforts to educate the population about their historical significance. This should satisfy those who want to leave the statues in place, but could also render them less threatening as symbols of a racist, oppressive culture to those who want them removed. Attach a simple plaque to each statue:


1 comment: