1/4/12

Romney Beats Off Santorum Challenge

"I wanked 'em all!"
Well, obviously I'm going to play this little headline game, too.
According to the results I've seen at this point of Tuesday's Iowa caucus, former governor Mitt Romney has edged his way past former senator Rick Santorum to win by a handful of votes in some terribly archaic and arcane process that means nothing in terms of delegate power for next summer's Republican National Convention. It is, however, something that the media can scrutinize as it awaits next week's New Hampshire primary.
There isn't much of a lesson to take away from Santorum's showing in Iowa, other than the fact that this state, which has given strong showings and surprise victories to people like Pat Robertson and Pat Buchanan, has a penchant for supporting some truly unpleasant people in their quadrennial square dance. It might mean more scrutiny and focus on the former senator from Pennsylvania, and I'm guessing his ego and vanity and general cluelessness will cause him to believe that the Iowa results have somehow vindicated him, and he will be encouraged to put his full unpleasantness on display when he's under the spotlight.
Romney comes out clean, meanwhile, having avoided the two things he couldn't do: 1)come out of it looking like a loser, and 2)saying or doing anything noteworthy in any way.


Meanwhile, Michele Bachmann is reportedly calling it quits, having learned that even in the unlikely event of her winning the presidency she wouldn't be appointing senators, and Rick Perry is re-assessing.
I must confess I am surprised; I never saw Santorum coming, and I really wish I hadn't just written that. But Santorum seemed so unlikely to leave a mark on this election (no no stop) and so much more likely to slide into oblivion (dammit) that I didn't even deem him worth a campaign button.
I'll see about rectifying that...oh, I did it again...


No comments:

Post a Comment